Bridal Veil, Oregon
Bridal Veil, Oregon was one of two towns built by the Bridal Veil Falls Lumbering Company to log Larch Mountain near Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge. Trees would be cut down up the hill, roughly hewn at the mill in Palmer, Oregon, then sent via log flume down the hill to Bridal Veil. The town, originally known as Bride’s Veil, was established in 1886 with the construction of a Post Office and a railway station.
The lumber mill was in operation until 1936 when the mill at Palmer burned down. Bridal Veil was taken over by the Bridal Veil Lumber & Box Company, who ran it until 1960. Since then the town has passed through several hands, and was almost completely destroyed in 2001. The Post Office, a few older houses, an old lodge now known as the Bridal Veil Lodge Home Bed and Breakfast, and a State Park are all that remain.
Apparently this Post Office is one of the smallest in the country. It was built inside an old tool shed.
No clue what these ruins were part of. Possibly the saw mill itself, or part of the end of the log flume.
This looks like some sort of pump house. Unfortunately it’s flooded and can not see the bottom so it’s hard to tell for sure what it was.
As you’re approaching the above building along the road, there are the remains of a school playground (painted asphalt) and the concrete footings of a two bay garage. Most of the area is covered in blackberry bushes so it’s hard to see what else might still be around.
I originally had this as a Class H3, but in light of the destroyed buildings, downgraded to Class B3.
Update, the Wy’East Blog talks about Bridal Veil a bit more in depth, including up to date information about the road that connected Palmer and Bridal Veil.
Update 01/15/15 – New pictures from a trip in January 2015, including a better view of the flood building.