GPS: 45.493315, -122.494300 or 16430 SE Powell Blvd, Portland Oregon
From downtown Portland, take Highway 26 East towards Gresham. The “town” as it were was located at the foot of Powell Butte.
The town of Kronenberg Oregon was actually pretty short lived. The first settlers here were the Camp Family who started an orchard and cattle farm on Camp Butte, now known as Powell Butte, in 1880.
An nice Victorian Farm House was built at what is now 16430 SE Powell in 1892.
Enough citizens were in the area that by 1893 that post office was opened on April 10th of that year. Joseph Kronenberg became the first and only post master and lent his name to the town. The post office was located in his home, which was said to be at what is now SE 162nd. The post office lasted for four years, closing to Rockwood on February 8th, 1897.
In 1908, Swiss immigrants Henry and Anna Anderegg, and brother-in-law Henry Naegeli, leased from the City, Camp Butte. They had previously started a milk plant at Southwest 14th and Jefferson Street. The dairy was a herd of 600 to 800 dairy cows, and some Percheron Draft Horses on the property. Named Mountain View Dairy for it’s view of snow covered Mt. Hood, and Mt. St. Helens, the family home became a community center for the local Swiss Community.
Several houses sprung up along Powell between 1905 and 1924, presumably built by members in this community. The Anderegg family had four children, Walter, Tracy (male), Lillian, and Lena. Lillian was born on the Butte in 1924, but the family and the dairy moved down to the Victorian farmhouse when she was six months old. The dairy now took up all the land on the south side of Powell from SE 157th to SE 174th. The City allowed the family to continue grazing cattle on the butte to maintain the meadows and keep them from becoming over grown.
The name of the dairy also likely changed at this time from Mountain View Dairy to Meadowland Dairy. The dairy was definitely a family run operation, although with that number of cattle the had a number of farmhands. Walter ran the first motorized milk truck in Oregon, and the daughters helped milk cattle. Lillian married Wayne Adams, who was had once worked on the dairy, in 1948 and farmed the land until his death in 1989.
The dairy itself was split in the early 1970s between the four children. Lillian got the part with the Victorian Farmhouse. Her portion was developed into a community called the Meadowcrest Farm Estates Mobile Home Park. She still lives in the home and is active in the advisory committee for the Powell Butte Nature Park.
Unfortunately, the historic barn on the property burned down on February 1, 2011. It was a total loss.
When did the Butte become City Property?
When did Portland annex the area of Kronenberg Oregon?
When did the Butte become a Nature Area?
What was the exact ownership of the Dairy?
How did the family run it?
Did they have an onsite shop since they were giving away chocolate milk and ice cream at the time?