John and Robert Burns first settled on the site of Quartzburg in 1847. A mining camp known alternatively as Burns’ Creek, Burns’ Camp, Burns’ Ranch, and Burns’ Diggings grew up here. In 1849 the camp had a large number Mexican emigrants from Sonora. They were soon kicked out, possibly for racist reasons, more likely because they had rich gold mines, and blamed for the town’s general lawlessness. They moved to nearby Hornitos and formed a new town – one who’s mines were even richer. After word of that reached Quartzburg, it died quickly as all the miners moved to Hornitos California.
A post office was built here in 1851. It was named by Thomas Thorn for all the quartz outcroppings along the creek. It managed to last until 1861 before closing.
The last remains of Quartzburg were plowed over in 1979 – for a highway. All the remains now is the cemetery.
If you know anything more about Quartzburg (such as it’s exact location, and if there are any remaining buildings,) please comment below!