Oregon History Sign “Salem Began Here”

Oregon History Sign “Salem Began Here”

Located on NE High Street in the 850 block, in Salem Oregon. This one was put up by the Marion County Historical Society. It’s in the same design as the Oregon History Signs.

“In the fall of 1840. The Oregon Methodist Mission under Jason Lee damned Mill Creek below this bridge west of what is now Liberty Street. They erected a lumber mill. Two years later a flour mill was added in 1856. The Willamette Woolen Manufacturing Company channeled more water from the Santiam river to Mill Creek for new factory. The first power-operated woolen mills on the Pacific Coast. The mills burned in 1876.

In the spring of 1841, the Missionaries built the first house in Salem. Which with additions stood at 960 NE Broadway. It has since been moved to the Mission Mill Museum occupied by four families including that of Jason Lee. It later housed Salem’s second store, first post office, and the Treasury of the Territory of Oregon. Later moved to the brick building 888 NE Liberty.”

The Mission Mill Museum has recently gone through some changes – but for the better.

Leave a Reply