Mt. Angel, Oregon was originally settled in 1850 by Benjamin Cleaver who called the area “Roy” after laying out a townsite. An railroad station in 1881, called Filmore was built here, but in 1882 an post office was opened with the name of Roy. In 1883 Rev. Fr. Adelheim Odermatt and a group of Benedictine monks from Switzerland opened an abby on Lone Butte.
Due to his efforts the entire area became known as Mt. Angel. At the same time a group of Bavarian immigrants settled in the area. It was not until 1996 that Mt. Angel started holding it’s famous event, Oktoberfest. That event has an annual attendance measured in hundreds of thousands, and generates a large amount of money for local non-profits.
Modern Mt. Angel is a Bavarian style village with themed buildings in the downtown core, a Fest Hall on the southern edge of town and a the United State’s tallest Glockenspiel.
On the main road through town (Highway 214 or the Hillsboro to Silverton Highway) is this statue titled “Oktoberfest Joy” sculpted by Jerry Joslin. It is two children dancing upon a fountain. Water cascades over the bowl into a pool below, and in this case freezes as it does so.
By Jerry Joslin
Made possible by generous grants from Mt. Angel Oktoberfest and the Frank Pavelek Family in loving memory of their parents Frank and Jean (Hemshorn) Pavelek.
And the commitment of time, talent, equipment and financial resources of businesses and caring citizens of Mt. Angel and its surrounding communities.
The waterworks and lighting were designed and built by volunteer Bill Kuchan.
Dedicated to the youth of Mt. Angel
September 13, 1998”
Across the road from the fountain is this nice, and very realistic, mural.
In 2006 the town built a Glockenspiel. The biggest one in the United States.
Mt. Angel Oregon Glockenspiel chiming 1pm
The Glockenspiel was built in 2006 and “performs” every two hours starting at 11am.