Interstate 5 – Roadside Stops
There are a ton of rest stops along I-5, so if you just need bathroom breaks you’re good. But what if you want to enjoy the drive and see the sites? Conventional wisdom has always been that Interstate highways bypassed a lot of towns, and the attractions and services they contained. This unfortunately true, so it is up to the intrepid traveler to find these places themselves.
Here are a list of things to do along I-5 that only take a short detour. (Under five miles unless noted)
– Portland, Lots to do in Portland. Hit up Salt and Straw Ice Cream. Hit up any of the 500+ food carts. Go to OMSI, the History Museum, the Art Museum, the 24hr Church of Elvis, Rose Gardens, Japanese Gardens, Chinese Gardens
– Go to Champoeg, where the Oregon Territory became a state
– Oregon Gardens near Salem
– Mission Mill in Salem
– Wine Tasting in or around Salem
– State Capital Building
– Enchanted Forest just south of Salem
– Living Rock Museum in Brownsville –
– Ghost town of Golden Oregon
– Ghost town of Buncom Oregon –
– Ashland (good food/hotels)
– You’ll be driving up the sides of Mt. Shasta. There are several great stops through there, just pull off the road randomly.
– Weed California
– Dunsmuir California is highly recommended
– Olive Tasting in Corning, California
No doubt there are hundred other great stops along I-5 – please share your favorite ones, along with the Exit Number (if known) in the comments below.