Hoffman Covered Bridge, Oregon (Crabtree Creek)
The Hoffman Covered Bridge is another departure from the typical “Linn County” design of covered bridges. Built in 1936 by hand, timber for the bridge was cut nearby and shaped with adzes. Two Gothic Windows are on each side. A typical Linn County Bridge, such as the Stayton-Jordan Bridge, has open sides instead. The entrance portals at each end were originally rounded, but were later squared off and widened to allow access for larger vehicles.
The bridge gracefully spans Crabtree Creek on a road that has been bypassed in favor of the highway. The nearby unincorporated town of Crabtree, along with the creek and lake, all got their name from the first settler in this area, John J. Crabtree.
From Albany, Oregon, head east on Highway 20 towards Lebanon. At the “Y” in the Highway, take the left on to Highway 226. Turn left again onto Cold Springs Road, there should be a sign for the town of Crabtree here. It will end at Crabtree Drive, take a right, and then an immediate left on to Hungry Hill Road. Follow Hungry Hill Road to the Hoffman Covered Bridge.