Portland Guest Houses
If you’re still looking for a place to stay while visiting beautiful Portland, a guesthouse might just be great solution for you!
In theory, I’m not really sure why one would want to stay in a guest house though. But apparently they are becoming a bit more high class and are filling a spot between regular hotels and bed and breakfasts – a niche I didn’t know existed until recently. Never the less, many of these places actually look pretty dang cool and are certainly on my list of places to spend a bit of time if I for instance burn my house down or my wife gets a bit peeved at me.
The Everett Guest House
The Guest Houses
– Bluebird Guesthouse
– Everett Street Guesthouse
– Evermore Guesthouse
– Friendly Bike Guest House
– Northwest Portland International Hostel
– Portland International Guesthouse
– Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse
Portland Bed and Breakfast
Mmmm, bed and breakfast. Two of my favorite parts of vacation. I love bed and breakfasts when I travel. They’re usually cute little homes, frequently vintage, owned by nice people who serve great breakfasts and have comfortable rooms. Some of my best vacation memories across the Pacific Northwest involve Bed and Breakfasts. Two notable ones being the Chambered Nautilus Bed and Breakfast near the University of Washington in Seattle and the Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast in Bandon, Oregon across the Coquille River from the Bandon Lighthouse.
Note, this list is not complete. These are merely the best of the best rated. I also removed anything that had less then five reviews just to be fair.
– Apas House Bed and Breakfast
– Cherokee Rose Inn
– Forest Springs Bed & Breakfast
– The Fulton House Bed and Breakfast
– Lion and the Rose Victorian Bed & Breakfast Inn
– Mayor’s Mansion
– A Painted Lady Inn
– Portland’s White House
Portland Airport Hotels
First piece of advice, if you here on this page, and you are trying to find a hotel to live in while you’re vacationing in Portland, DO NOT, spend your time at the airport. Don’t get me wrong, there are decent hotels there, but you’re 20 minute via car, and 45 minutes via public transport from the city center.
So stay downtown, or at another option.
Portland Hotels Near Airport
– Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station
– Embassy Suites Portland Airport
– Hyatt Place Portland Airport at Cascade Station
– Radisson Hotel
– Residence Inn Portland Airport at Cascade Station
Downtown Portland Hotels
For those who wish to spend their vacation time in Portland, well, IN Portland, downtown in the place to be. There is great access to transit, food, drinks, and entertainment. And of course all of the tourist destinations.
The Nines Hotel in the former Meier and Frank Building
Notes, that these are only the 4 or 5 star rated hotels. I’m a firm believer that cheap is good, but an even firmer believer that good quality sleep while on vacation is even more important. So yes, there are MANY hotels not on this list.
So, here are the best hotels located in downtown Portland Oregon!
– Ace Hotel
– Courtyard City Center
– Embassy Suites
– Hotel deLuxe
– Hotel Lucia
– Hotel Modera Portland
– Hotel Monaco
– Hotel Vintage Portland
– McMenamin’s Crystal Hotel
– Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Pearl District
– Riverplace Hotel
– The Heathman
– The Nines
– The Westin
McMenamins occupies a weird place in Portland History. The McMenamin brothers were at the forefront of Portland’s now well known brewpub scene. They have purchased, and rehabbed, some of the most unique properties in Portland, making them into destination boutique hotels or pubs. Many of these locations were condemned or almost condemned buildings and all have been built to have unique themes and decorations.
Alas, McMenamins has kind of been left behind in a lot of ways. Yes, their properties are universally awesome. But their beer hasn’t really kept up with what else is available in Portland these days. Their food used to be awesome, but is now considered to be run of the mill pub food. And their service, well, lets just say that you very rarely tip 20%.
That being said, there are some reason to go to McMenamins.
Best McMenamins Pubs
This is highly subjective, but these are my favorite pubs.
– Barley Mill Pub where you can relive your favorite Grateful Dead concert
– Blue Moon is one of the original McMenamins pubs
– Chapel Pub to prey with your drinks
– Ringlers Pub is where some of the best bands play
– White Eagle home to ghosts and rock and roll!
Portland area McMenamins Hotels are a great cross between boutique hotels and luxury hotels crossed with easy access to alcohol. They also all happen to be historic buildings that the company has saved and restored.
– Crystal Hotel in downtown Portland
– Edgefield outside Portland (easy access to the Columbia River Gorge)
– Kennedy School where you can drink, eat and sleep in class. Oh, and take a bath.
– White Eagle home to ghosts and rock and roll!