Located on the west end of Broadway, in between Hall and Walker, the sign says:
“The City of Beaverton was officially incorporated in 1893, but the City was born over a century ago. On the 26th of Dec. 1868. With hopes of brining a railroad to an area once described as “Mostly swamps & marshes connected by beaver dams to create what looked like a huge lake,” Joshua Welch, with the assistance of George Betts, Charles Angel, W.P. Watson, John Henry & other prominent residents of the area laid out what is now known as “Beaverton”
The area originally occupied by the Tualatin Indians rapidly became known to fur trappers for the large number of beaver that inhabited the lakes soon to follow were the farmers. Learning of rich minerals in the soil which yielded abundant crops.
District officially designated on January 20th 1986
This sign donated by Beaverton Chamber of Commerce”
The sign obviously could have used a proof reader or two.
Shute Park is located near the downtown Hillsboro area. It was purchased by the City of Hillsboro in 1906. Over the years since then it’s seen a lot of changes. The City of Hillsboro has grown to several times it’s size, a pavilion was built, lasted fifty years, then torn down. The WPA landscaped the park. And it’s now home to an A&W Family, and a giant wood carved Indian Head.
The A&W Family located in the park has had a long and interesting history, including being stolen, career change, and finally being restored. The City of Hillsboro web site has more information about them.
It’s apparent that these icons of 50′s fast food are still well loved as evidenced by web pages documenting their existence around the country.
This is Chief Kno-Tah
who was a Chief of the Tualatin Indians. It was carved by Peter Toth who has a personal mission to carve a giant Indian head in each state.
Here are the few remains of the WPA’s project in Shute Park. No doubt that fire place has warmed a lot of people on chilly nights as they roasted hot dogs and marshmellows over the fire.