Located on the west end of Broadway, in between Hall and Walker, the sign says:
“The City of Beaverton was officially incorporated in 1893, but the City was born over a century ago. On the 26th of Dec. 1868. With hopes of brining a railroad to an area once described as “Mostly swamps & marshes connected by beaver dams to create what looked like a huge lake,” Joshua Welch, with the assistance of George Betts, Charles Angel, W.P. Watson, John Henry & other prominent residents of the area laid out what is now known as “Beaverton”
The area originally occupied by the Tualatin Indians rapidly became known to fur trappers for the large number of beaver that inhabited the lakes soon to follow were the farmers. Learning of rich minerals in the soil which yielded abundant crops.
District officially designated on January 20th 1986
This sign donated by Beaverton Chamber of Commerce”
The sign obviously could have used a proof reader or two.
The Agustus Fanno Farmhouse sits near Fanno Creek in Beaverton. The creek neatly bisects the cities of Beaveton, Tigard and Tualatin before it flows into the Tualatin River.
The Farmhouse is on the original land claim location, very near where Agustus would have built his first cabin in 1847. Fanno later convinced Thomas Denney to settle on adjoining land in 1850. This location was ideal for Fanno’s needs as it was adjoining Indian Trails that allowed passage from Willamette Falls in Oregon City all the way to the coast near Tillamook. This trail would later be expanded and become the Astoria Military Road. His intention was to sell onions to trappers headed back to Oregon City.
Fanno married Rebecca Denney on April 17th, 1851. She is described as a Spinster of 31 years of age. Augustus was 47 at the time. She must have been a fairly well educated woman as on Janurary 18th, 1855 Reverend Ezra Fisher reports that Mrs. Rebecca Fanno needed to be paid $1 for a magazine subscription called “Mothers’ Journal and Family Visitant.”
The Fanno’s did well as onion farmers. By this time he was probably shipping Onions downstream to Oregon City. In that day it was common to build a raft and hire a couple of Indians to paddle it along the creeks and rivers with it’s cargo. They made enough to build a new “fashionable” house in 1857. Note the sign at the house says 1859, but I am not sure where the discrepancy is. Perhaps it took two years to build and finish due to the amount of labor and materials that would have to have been shipped in.
His sons and grandsons continued the tradition of farming onions until the 1940′s. The Farmhouse itself was lived in by the family until 1974 and then it and the adjacent land were donated to the Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District in March 1982.
The Farmhouse is now both a Century Farm, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District
which is a passage from “Chapter Five: The Settling of the Beaverton Area from
CHAKEIPI: “The Place of the Beaver” by Virginia Mapes (1993)
History of the Fanno Family and the Fanno Farmhouse” linked below on Amazon.
Shute Park is located near the downtown Hillsboro area. It was purchased by the City of Hillsboro in 1906. Over the years since then it’s seen a lot of changes. The City of Hillsboro has grown to several times it’s size, a pavilion was built, lasted fifty years, then torn down. The WPA landscaped the park. And it’s now home to an A&W Family, and a giant wood carved Indian Head.
The A&W Family located in the park has had a long and interesting history, including being stolen, career change, and finally being restored. The City of Hillsboro web site has more information about them.
It’s apparent that these icons of 50′s fast food are still well loved as evidenced by web pages documenting their existence around the country.
This is Chief Kno-Tah
who was a Chief of the Tualatin Indians. It was carved by Peter Toth who has a personal mission to carve a giant Indian head in each state.
Here are the few remains of the WPA’s project in Shute Park. No doubt that fire place has warmed a lot of people on chilly nights as they roasted hot dogs and marshmellows over the fire.